Where is ntp?

Kevin Geiss plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 08:05:12 -0700

you want to use the script called /etc/init.d/ntpd

that's how you start a service in redhat.

just tweak your /etc/ntp.conf file, that's where you put servers to get your time from. first comment out these two lines:

server 127.127.1.0     # local clock
fudge  127.127.1.0 stratum 10

then go to
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.htm

to get a list of stratum 2 time servers. DON'T USE STRATUM 1 SERVERS! the
stratum 2 time servers are designed for what you want.

just put the name of each server in your ntp.conf file like this:

server some.stratum2.server.edu

then do this once to get your clock close to right:
ntpdate <some of your servers, seperated by space>

then to keep your clock right forever:
/etc/init.d/ntpd start

to make ntp run after reboots:
chkconfig ntpd on