Fry's Horror [Was: Re: motherboard for building]

John Olson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 20:44:30 -0700

I'll "3rd" that re: Fry's and motherboards.  I have had a near 100%
failure rate on motherboards/RAM/CPUs at Fry's, even supposed new retail
packaging...actually I can't think of one single case where all the
stuff has worked after the first trip.  And standing in the return line
is like a trip to the dentist.

I've also had very good luck at PC Club.

I've had good luck with the few things I've bought at
www.computersurplusoutlet.com out of Las Vegas.  The one situation where
I got some bad hardware (used SCSI HDs), they were very good at
return/credit.

-- John
-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us] On Behalf Of Bryce
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2002 8:24 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Fry's Horror [Was: Re: motherboard for building]

I can attest to this.  One time I returned a couple things, motherboard
included, and had put an identifying mark on the inside packaging of
each so I'd know (I'd had a suspicion) and when I came back the next day
for replacements with my store credit, I got the very same motherboard
without a sticker saying it was returned.  I again returned it and got
my money back so I could go somewhere worthwile.  Sorry Fry's, 2 strikes
and you're out, for MBs at least.

On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 19:38, Brian Hendricks wrote:
> First I would not buy a motherboard from Fry's - they have been know
> sell "seconds" I'd try P.C. Club they have good prices and treat
people
> right. you can find their locations @ www.pcclub.com
>
> J wrote:
>
> >I was standing at Fry's looking at the wall of motherboards and
> >wondering
> >which ones you guys consider useable for building a new box.
> >
> >If you have and information about good places on the web or locally
> >to get
> >hardware please mention it. And if you like something not found at
Fry's I
> >would like to know that too.  it's just that the place is here in the
valley.

> >Thanks
> >
> >Roger

> Brian
> WebMaster: http://www.firearms-for-us.com
>
> America, where freedom* reigns.
>
> *Freedom subject to change depending on jurisdiction and availability.

> Some freedoms may not be available due to local political expedience
> or prevailing political correctness. Please check Federal, State,
> County, City, or any other special district for applicable laws
> governing the extents of freedoms prior to purchase.
>

> "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
> safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin, (1759)
>
> (Scanned for viruses by NAV 2002)

Bryce Chidester
Network Administrator
CoBryce Communications