Journal Recovery (was Re: Installing an ext3-based debian system...)

Robert Bushman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 07:16:16 -0700 (MST)

My understanding of journalling is that it is not
intended to be sufficient to recover from media
failure. I think it is only capable of taking a
piece of media that was interrupted part way through
an access and return it to the state immediately
before the access began. I think that's why the
journal file doesn't bloat, it only has to save the
metadata about the current transaction.