Fwd: US Department of State and Linux

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:29:04 -0700

From the Toronto LUG list, something possibly of interest. Note that there
is a workaround: Konqueror works if you do Tools->Change Browser
Identification->(Windows whatever version) However, NS4 under Linux did NOT
work for me, and I'm sure many other users are likewise stranded.

So who would you complain to about this sort of issue?

I suspect this is part of a larger Microsoft conspiracy to ensure that only
Windows users make it into the country. :)

- Bob

,--------------- Forwarded message (begin)

 Subject: : US Department of State and Linux
 From: Zbigniew J Koziol <zkoziol@is.dal.ca>
 Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:34:56 -0700

 It is probably not a bad idea informing about these who discriminate Linux
 users?

 This time this is not a Canadian institution. A friend of mine asked for
help
 with requesting an application for visa to USA. This sort of application
 request can be done from http://www.nvars.com/ . And what happens when I
 click "continue" at the bottom of the page there?

 "The US Embassy Visa Appointment Reservation System is currently not
 supported by your browser. Click one of the links bellow in order to
 download and install a supported version of one of the following browsers:
 Microsoft Internet Explorer Netscape Browser"

 These ignorants did not care to check that I do use a Netscape browser.
 Simply, I use it from Linux. The same problem was when I did use konqueror.
 Now, I have a problem: you may lough or not but I do NOT use windows... How
 am I supposed to order documents from them?

 I would be glad to send them some sort of protest letter if anybody around
 cared to prepare a nice one in good English.

 zb.