Software and Markets (was Re: ultra sparc and linux)

Robert Bushman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 12:02:21 -0400 (EDT)

Free Software is causing significant rethinking of
free market economics. Does it not stand to reason
that "market" and "commerce" are two of the big
words that will have to be reevaluated?

On a larger scale, all forms of intellectual
property are seeing significant upheaval as a
result of the sudden drop to nearly zero marginal
cost of production. The terms "market" and "commerce"
were forged in a world where marginal cost was
*always* significantly non-zero. Applying their
traditional definitions to things like software
is, IMO, outdated.

I would propose that "market" in this case means
the collection of all potential customer machines,
and "commerce" means the acquisition of a product
(by any means and for any price).