ultra sparc and linux

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 08:07:03 -0700

> Go with what you know.  If you don't know either Debian os SuSE, I
> would suggest SuSE - it has more market share (#1 distro in Europe),
> and is a more mainstream distro.

Granted Im biased being a Debianite, but I would like to see the numbers
that show SuSE has more market share.  It certainly is popular in Europe
(I dont know if #1, #1 in Germany perhaps). More mainstream perhaps if
mainstream == corporate.  I dispute still that is has more marketshare.

Numbers I looked at a while ago had 1-3 as

1. Red Hat (by a lot)
2. Debian
3. Mandrake

(and 2-5 were all really close)

An interesting side note is its nearly impossible for real numbers,
because on like traditional software a vendor cant tell you 'units
shipped', the stores cant tell you 'units bought' and with mirrors and
cheap CD-R 'units downloaded' is likely in accurate.  An example is I
have 10 machines or so running Debian right now, but I borrowed a potato
disk from a friend sometime ago and burned me a copy.

-Derek