Free web address/port fowarding

Matt Alexander plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 06:08:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Kurt Granroth wrote:

> Hmm.. I don't think iptables will help since it will never get the request
> in the first place if Cox is blocking port 80.

iptables needs to be on a box that's not on the Cox network.  DNS would
point to this remote box.  Then the remote box would redirect port 80
traffic to port 81 (or whatever else isn't blocked) on the Cox box.  I
did this before temporarily, but I was able to use a Linux box at work to
do the forwarding.  Bryce probably doesn't have this luxury.  However, the
best solution is probably what Hans suggested.  Just upgrade to a Cox
Business account.

> I use EasyDNS for my DNS services and I asked this very question a few
> months back.  It seems that they do have such a service.  Since DNS info
> doesn't have any notion of ports, the way it works is that your domain
> would point to their own servers and it would redirect it to wherever you
> wanted.  I don't think they do the same for SMTP, though.

Can EasyDNS redirect to a port other than 80?
~M