Debian Install Newbie Tips

Wed, 7 Aug 2002 19:44:37 -0700 (MST)

Am 06. Aug, 2002 schwätzte Robert Bushman so:

> - Find out which NIC driver you need. Write it down.
> (anyone have any tips on how to do this if it's not
> obvious? "3c905" is clear enough, but how do you
> figure out "tulip"?)

As Derek mentioned there's lspci. If that's not installed try reading
/proc/pci.

> - Know your monitor settings: HSync and Vertical Refresh.

www.MonitorWorld.com is your friend :). Lately I've been leaving that out
and letting X detect it. It's mostly working.

> - Find out which sound card driver you need (imagine a
> big bald guy laying on the ground next to a system tower
> trying to read the bottom side of his PCI sound card
> halfway through the kernel configuration - it's not a
> pretty sight)

Hope this was on tile. We'd hate for you to get cranial rug burn :).

Again, pci is available via lspci or /proc/pci. Matching name to driver can
be a pain.

I don't know how to deal with isa other than get lucky :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we