Debian Install Newbie Tips

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 23:21:49 -0700

> - If you've got a big pipe, do a net install. Grab
> the minimal .iso (about 10 megs). This way, you only
> download what you're installing.

Gack, its much easier to download 3 floppies. (root, rescue, driver)

If you do woody grab the 2.4-bf (so you can do 2.4 and ext3 as part of
install)

If you grab .iso's use jidgo: ( http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/ )
Jidgo is an interesting project in itself: (
http://home.in.tum.de/~atterer/jigdo/ )

> - Find out which NIC driver you need. Write it down.
> (anyone have any tips on how to do this if it's not
> obvious? "3c905" is clear enough, but how do you
> figure out "tulip"?)

If you are in windows look in the hardware settings, if your in
GNU/Linux and its PCI do an lspci -v or if its installed and working do
an lsmod (and see what module is loaded for it)

If its not yet installed look at the chip and enter the chip name debian
linux in google and have fun.

> - Know your monitor settings: HSync and Vertical Refresh.

If you know maker and model number, generally you can find this
information quickly via google.

> - Find out which sound card driver you need (imagine a
> big bald guy laying on the ground next to a system tower
> trying to read the bottom side of his PCI sound card
> halfway through the kernel configuration - it's not a
> pretty sight)

You can setup up sound post install as well.  Though its more fun to
watch a bald guy squirming on the floor swearing merrily as he inserts
his noggin in the old tower. ;)

> - If you don't use DHCP, have your network settings handy.
> IP, netmask, gateway, and nameservers should do it.

Generally this is the step I forget as I dont have DHCP running
internally (dont ask) and I always forget to jot down my dang
nameservers.

-Derek