Debian Install Newbie Tips

Robert Bushman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 21:44:24 -0400 (EDT)

I'm doing my second Debian install, and thought
I'd take a quick moment while it DL's to get
some of the things I've learned down.

- If you're doing a net install, and you use static
IP addresses, make sure you set your IP address
correctly. This may sound obvious, and it is, but
let me tell you from first hand experience - it
makes you feel real stupid if you find out you've
tried three different mirrors, and verified all
three from a separate machine, only to discover
that you put "66" instead of "65". :)

On a more serious level:

- If you've got a big pipe, do a net install. Grab
the minimal .iso (about 10 megs). This way, you only
download what you're installing.

- Find out which NIC driver you need. Write it down.
(anyone have any tips on how to do this if it's not
obvious? "3c905" is clear enough, but how do you
figure out "tulip"?)

- Know your monitor settings: HSync and Vertical Refresh.

- Find out which sound card driver you need (imagine a
big bald guy laying on the ground next to a system tower
trying to read the bottom side of his PCI sound card
halfway through the kernel configuration - it's not a
pretty sight)

- If you don't use DHCP, have your network settings handy.
IP, netmask, gateway, and nameservers should do it.

 'Microsoft also warned today that the era of "open computing," the
 free exchange of digital information that has defined the personal
 computer industry, is ending.'

 http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/25/technology/25NET.html

 Will Microsoft permit you to use your mission critical data when
 you need it?  Linux will, and you have the source to prove it.