intro classes?

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 14:42:35 -0400

Hello all:
I just resubscribed after a six-month absence, and already I have to offer my
two cents:

As long as the word "Linux" is in there somewhere, it's cool.  Calling it
"free software" might make people think it's about free software that runs on
Windows.   As far as GNU (or not to GNU) I don't think it matters a lot,
since most non-computer folks don't know what GNU is.  Although this is
certainly a good forum to introduce people to the GNU project, even if
everything in the course isn't GNU.   Most newbies won't care about this
distinction, just things like "Will it run on my PC?  Can I get my email?
Can I read Word documents?"

As a side note, I've been talking to a lot of non-computer folks about Linux
lately, and a few have actually heard about it.  Some of them have the
impression it's a program, not an OS.  "You mean you don't need Windows to
run it?"  :-)

Vaughn Treude
Nakota Software, Inc.
Custom development for manufacturing / signal processing / communications /
etc.