Free Software for m$

Lynn David Newton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 12:13:34 -0700

  >> Footnotes:
  >> [1]  In contrast, GNU Emacs is *not* supported, no
  >> doubt because of the neo-apartheid philosophies of RMS
  >> and his cronies which will probably prevent a porting
  >> effort from ever taking place. But that's all right,
  >> because XEmacs is orders of magnitude better than GNU
  >> Emacs anyhow.

  Derek> You may hate RMS all you like, but please do
  Derek> not spread baseless FUD. RMS, FSF and GNU have
  Derek> long actually even SOLD (yes they sell free
  Derek> software) cd's specifically for the windows
  Derek> operating system.

I don't hate RMS one bit, other than I think he
manifests some annoying quirks on a personal level and
would likely never be my personal good buddy because of
them.

I've been a user of Emacs and supporter of open source
since 1987 (long before it came to be called that),
think that RMS is brilliant, one of the greatest
programmers there has ever been, an exceptionally fine
writer (of English), and possibly the number one
spokesman for the open and free software movement.
What's to hate about that?

On the other hand, it has occurred to me that the
militancy some GNU Project advocates express concerning
both sides of the open source issue is sometimes
antagonistic and antithetical to progress.

BTW, I spend part of my work time in a fortress of
Microsoftism, where to speak of Linux is comparable to
discussing the glories of ultramarathoning (my sport)
with an audience that believes that NASCAR drivers are
great athletes. I've had to learn to speak softly and
wield my influence gently.

  Derek> http://www.gnu.org/order/windows.html

  Derek> Further more emacs21 has been available for
  Derek> sometime. Directly from the FSF and GNU.

Since I don't use Windows machines much, I was not
aware of that. Thank you for straightening me out on
that point.

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, AZ