Free Software for m$

Michelle Lowman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 08:18:28 -0700

Add Scribus to the list for page layout (Pagemaker/Quark alternative). It's
not full-featured yet, but it does work pretty well for the basics. (Print
layout people probably won't accept OpenOffice as a true alternative, even
though it can also do page layout.)

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of Derek
Neighbors
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2002 1:18 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Free Software for m$

> OK, I'll drop that off the list. I think it would be better not to require
> CygWin at this point

We dont want to peddle Cygwin as thats emulating *nix on windows, if we
are going to introducte that we need to just install *nix for them. :)

I made a 10 minut list, and pt the function to the side.  I also added
some stuff I didnt readily know alternatives to but are poppular tasks.

=====

MultiMedia
----------
Audacity (Audio Editing)
CDex (CD Audio Stuff)
VirtualDub (Movie Editing)

Games
-----
FreeCraft (War Craft Alternative)
ZSNES (Super Nintendo Emulator)
Mame (Arcade Emulator)

Development Tools
-----------------
wxWindows
Python
emacs
PHP
Perl

Databases
---------
Firebird
SAP-DB
MySQL

Utilities
---------
Ghostscript (PDF Generation)

Networking
----------
TightVNC (Remote Control)
Apache (Web Server)
PuTTY/WinSCP(FTP/Telnet/SSH/SCP)

Productivity
------------
OpenOffice (Office tools)
Mozilla (browser, email/news, html editor)

Other Tasks Need Alternatives For
Unzipping
VCD Making
ICQ/MSN/AIM client
IRC Client (chatzilla maybe?)
Paint Shop Pro (can gimp run w/o cygwin)

=====

-Derek