Posgres security

David Uhlman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 00:17:31 -0700

Postgres has its uses though it can be a bit archaic in the maintenance and
configuration points, which is dissapointing for what that db could be.
Scalability wise it is not "puny" and is very highly scalable db, about 90%
as scalable as oracle for about 100,000$ less.

However, I agree with derek completely, sap-db is an excellent database on
par with db2 and oracle for sql services (although I don't beleive it has
the latest features for xml binding etc). It has windows based management
configuration utilities similiar to what is found with those. I am not sure
what the linux config utilities are like at this time (besides the cli). My
only complaints deal with compiling it yourself, though the process is
getting better. Beware that it demands as many "resources/per performance
unit" as oracle or db2. It probably isn't suited well for lightweight
situations (neither are oracle or db2).

Security is as robust and powerful as the aforementioned. Of course it also
requires security in the os as well, particularly in linux, similiar to the
big 2.

Sincerely,
David Uhlman
CTO 50km Inc.