ISO Images

Robert Bushman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 18:53:45 -0400 (EDT)

The previous two sends are excellant nuts and
bolts answers. From a more theoretical level,
some interesting info:

ISO is a reference to ISO standard 9660, which
is the standard format for CDs (roughly equiv.
to the "Red Book" standard from Philips?)

.iso's can be mounted! Check this out:

mount -t iso9660 some_cool.iso /mnt/iso

That will mount the file "some_cool.iso" on
/mnt/iso (you have to create the mount point,
"/mnt/iso" as you would with a partition first),
and you can read it like it's a local drive.

cool.

Can you write to a mounted ISO? I've never
tried.