Presentation Topic: Profit at Lawyerpoint

Robert Bushman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:25:54 -0400 (EDT)

Egads. This is the DMCA for cell phones. Check this out:

Clause 2: Possession or supply of anything for re-programming purposes

10.     This clause creates a number of offences ancillary to the offence
created by clause 1. These linked offences are having custody or control
of the equipment for the purpose of unauthorised re-programming
(subsection 1), and supplying (subsection 2) or offering to supply
(subsection 3) the equipment to someone for that purpose.

11.     The equipment required to reprogramme the IMEI number may also be
used for other legitimate purposes. The clause makes it clear that the
offences are committed only if the person intends to use the equipment or
allow it to be used for the purposes of making an unauthorised change to
the IMEI number, or knows that the person to whom he supplies it or offers
to supply it intends to use it or allow it to be used for that purpose.

12.     The effect of subsection (5) is that possession by, supply to, or
the offer to supply to the manufacturer of a mobile telephone, or someone
with his written consent, does not amount to an offence under subsections
(1), (2) and (3).

13.     Unique device identifier has the same definition as in clause 1.
The penalties for each of these offences are the same as for the offence
created by clause 1.

Geee, I wonder if anyone's going to invoke this the same
way HP just invoked the DMCA to quash the Tru64 crack?
Naaaaahhh, never happen. This law won't be abused, we
can trust the multinationals this time.