Presentation Topic: Profit at Lawyerpoint

Robert Bushman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:08:19 -0400 (EDT)

OK, I stole half the subject from the EFF. But I think
they would approve. I think this could be the basis
for a good presentation topic.

Not content with the fact that it's illegal to steal
cell phones, the EU is now considering making it
illegal to modify your cell phone.

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/08/01/1253252

Will this make it easier to find stolen cell phones?
Of course not, people who steal cell phones aren't
going to say, "well, it's illegal to change the ID,
I better not do that."

Will this make it easier for Nokia to induce you to
buy a new phone? Yes - it will be illegal to upgrade
or enhance the software. That is the only real effect
of this law. (You may have noticed a few recent articles
where Nokia, Ericsson, and Motorola have complained
about dwindling market growth)

Multinationals have figured out that buying laws can
increase their profits faster than R&D investment.
They are using our police forces and militaries as
next generation marketing devices. The extent to which
legislatural bodies world-wide are bought and paid-for
by multinationals is stunning.

Kevin Connors once said to me, "the greatest barrier to
economic development is corruption." I thought he was
just talking about the third world.

 'Microsoft also warned today that the era of "open computing," the
 free exchange of digital information that has defined the personal
 computer industry, is ending.'

 http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/25/technology/25NET.html

 Will Microsoft permit you to use your mission critical data when
 you need it?  Linux will, and you have the source to prove it.