Connecting to/from Desqview/X

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 06:52:13 -0700

"Patrick Hustis" <phustis@teltrax.com> wrote:

> Sorry for the OT post, but I'm hoping someone here might know this, or
have
> experience with Desqview/X:

I'm on a couple of mailing lists with cantankerous old DOS types.
They've discussed Desqview/X a couple of times, but I don't know that
anyone's actively using it. Still, your posting got me thinking and it
strikes me that this would round out the low-end terminal server
capabilities that Linux (and other Unicen) offer.

> I have an old 486DX4-133 that I wanted to get some use out of, so I
put
> PC-Dos 7.0 and Desqview/X on it.  Now, from my main system (Running
> Mandrake 8.1), I can execute a dos shell via rsh and route the display
back
> my Linux box.   Now that the curiosity has grabbed me, I'm wondering
if I
> can run an X session remotely, and view not just the dos shell, but
the
> complete Desqview/X desktop from my Mandrake system.  Does anyone know
if
> DV/X supports this?

You should be able to run X apps on your Mandrake box with the display
on your Desqview/X box. Is that what you meant? Try "xeyes -display
<desqviewip>:0" or whatever is appropriate and see if the eyes pop up on
the old DOS box.

Unfortunately, I don't have DV/X handy to try myself, though I'd like to
check it out sometime.

Assuming this all works, would you mind sending me, or posting directly
some notes on how it all worked and your observations? Many on the old
hardware lists are (slowly) making the jump to Linux. Several work in
odd locations world-wide where a quick trip to Fry's for parts isn't a
possibility, and are stuck with 386en (and less).

> Second, does anyone know if DV/X can do the reverse, and run an X
session
> from my Mandrake box?

An app executing on the DOS box displaying on the Mandrake box? I'm not
sure... and I'm curious... why? DOSemu might be a better alternative for
that.

Good luck with it all!

- Bob