BYO or manufactured?

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 08:19:54 -0400

Well, let's look at this from a Street Lawyer perspective:

"YOU MAY RETURN IT TO YOUR PLACE OF PURCHASE FOR A FULL REFUND."
- This means contact Fry's or wherever.  It has been documented on other
lists and web sites that companies are not set up to take back just the
Windows OS.  They will take back the whole computer, however.

"Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the Product may make
a one-time transfer of the Product to another end user."
- You may, however, sell the CD and materials.  This was announced by a
Federal Court several months ago.  The EULA says you can do this one time.
Since the verbiage of the EULA does not distibguish between the original
user and subsequent users, it looks like each subsequent user also has
this right in keeping with the Court ruling.

"You may permit a maximum of ten (10) computers or other electronic devices
(each a "Device") to connect to the Workstation Computer to utilize the
services of the Product solely for File and Print services, ..."
- Looks like you better keep your Gnutella connection under 10!  I have
mine set at 24.

"Microsoft reserves the right to discontinue any Internet-based services
provided to you or made available to you through the use of the Product."
- They can kill your TCP/IP stack at will?  Nice.

"You may not rent, lease, lend or provide commercial hosting services
to third parties with the Product."
- No web hosting using XP Server?  Most web hosts use Linux anyway.

Thanks for the enlightenment!

George