Gentoo rocks -> Debian vs. Gentoo

jtannenba plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 13:13:29 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for all the replies..I'll try it next time I
need a new package that is not in the 'stable'.
I'm hoping that the 'official' Woody comes out soon.
meantime, I am 'playing' with solaris.

Has anyone seen solaris print in color to a deskjet
printer like linux can?  I can get B/W, but not
color using lpr and ghostscript.  (it is a remote
tcp/ip printerserver on the router)
I am thinking of compiling cups on this box (by the
way
it is solaris 8 10/01 on x86)
Joe
--- "der.hans" <PLUGd@lufthans.com> wrote:
> Am 23. Apr, 2002 schwätzte Tony Wasson so:
>
> > I'm just a hack, so I don't know the 'correct' way
> but I do this. But I'd
> > do:
> >
> > dpkg --install /path/to/deb/files/*.deb
> >     or
> > dpkg --install cups.deb other-cups-file1.deb
> other-cups-file2.deb
> >
> > der.hans would probably know a much more elegant
> approach. Also, if you get
>
> Actually, not at this point. Soon, however, apt
> should handle this as well.
> The capabilities are in the new version of ipkg for
> the iPAQ, which uses a
> system based on debian. They want to roll the
> capabilities back 'upstream'
> to apt.
>
> Those wanting one tool for all packaging needs
> should try aptitude or
> synaptic. I haven't used either, so have no idea how
> they work.
>
> > dependency problems, just use wget to grab those
> files too.
>
> That or apt-get them, so you'll get their
> dependencies as well.
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans
> --