GA302T NIC

Craig S. plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 02:23:08 -0700

Message: 13
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 16:28:31 -0700
From: Gontran Zepeda <gontran@gontran.net>
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: GA302T NIC

* Craig S. (castone@getnet.net) wrote:
> [ Gigabit network card from Netgear. ]
> [ ... ]
> 1) I should give up now because there is no driver support for the card.

Give up?

I would suggest that you compile all the 1000 mbit drivers as modules and
then modprobe each one.  Newer kernel would be good -- you're using .18
yes?  In the menuconfig for .16 there is an entry 'Alteon AceNIC/3Com
3C985/NetGear GA620 Gigabit support'.

hth
Gontran

--__--__--

 *
***
Previous Msg
***
 *

I am running kernel 2.4.16 now. I was running 2.4.18 but have been having
trouble with it's ide-scsi module so have dropped back to 2.4.16 For now.

I did see the GA620 driver. I think that is a discontinued card now because
it seems the GA622 is the new card being pushed by Netgear. The GA622 is
listed as the Network Card for a server and the GA302 is a Network Adapter
for the GA622. Honestly with all my experience I am not sure what the
difference is between a network adapter and network card. The only thing I
can figure is the GA302 is async data xfer and the GA622 is not.

I guess I will get the ole 12 gauge out and start plugging at the 1000 MBit
drivers to see if any work.

If there is no way to use the 1000MBit driver what would be the harm in
trying to run the card as just a regular 100 MBit card? Other than not being
able to run the card to it's full potential. Or is this just not possible?

Craig S.