Gentoo rocks -> Debian vs. Gentoo

Mon, 22 Apr 2002 21:04:29 -0700 (MST)

Am 21. Apr, 2002 schwätzte bob smith so:

> I'd have to disagree about it being for advanced users
> only.
>
> I switched to gentoo because I wasn't thrilled with
> the other package management systems. I liked apt ok,
> but I still kind of felt swamped by having to use
> dpkg, apt-get, apt-search, dselect, etc. Now if I want
> something I can "emerge -s <foo>" and if I find it
> "emerge <foo>"...it's that easy. Other than that it's
> pretty much the same :).

The problem with the different tools in debian ( apt-get, apt-cache, dpkg,
dpkg-reconfigure, dselect, etc. )[0] is that they work too well. We're
supposed to have front ends, e.g. aptitude[1]. The apt tools aren't supposed
to be used by humans, only by programs. We use them, though, because with
the dependency checking done in the background they're great.

ciao,

der.hans

[0] 'apt-get update', 'apt-get -u dist-upgrade', 'apt-get install <package>' and
'apt-search <string>' are all you normally need, but 'apt-get -f install',
'dpkg-reconfigure <package>', 'dpkg --configure -a' and others can be needed
sometimes.

[1] $ apt-cache search apt | grep -i frontend | grep -i apt
aptitude - curses-based apt frontend
synaptic - GUI-frontend for APT

--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/