konqueror dead after gentoo update...

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 13:24:30 -0700

Gontran Zepeda wrote:

> * John (EBo) David (ebo@leml.la.asu.edu) wrote:
> >
> > As a note, when gentoo updated to kde3 it started the setup wizard, and
>
> ahem.  when _you_ updated to kde3 with gentoo. :)

actually, I never told it specifically to update to kde3.  I did however
tell it to emerge kde, but I seem to remember that the first time I did
this it installed kde2...

Since I had not expected it to upgrade from kde2 to 3 I had not tracked
down the docs on upgrading which is why I missed any 2->3 specific
caveats -- I'm still getting a handle on portage, et al.

As a general note.  I am working on finishing up my thesis so I can get
out of here.  That is why I have not taken a couple of days off to focus
on reading all the docs on the gentoo differences, etc.  As such I've
been wacked with a couple of surprises.  But not all of it is from my
apparent laziness (even working 80 to 100+hr. weeks so I can get done)
-- such things as trying to reinstall using 1.1a to get a clean base
install, and gentoo not being able to see my scsi disks even though I
have the proper kernal mods installed (which have /,/boot, and one of
the swap partitions on sda)...  hah, thank you for playing...  0.96 was
able to see them fine.  whatever happened with 1.1a I have not a clue,
and didn't take the time to find out.

Thanks for emailing me back with a pointer to the kde3 upgrade info
though -- I was able to clean up and get the old distro (0.96?)
working.  I still have a couple of things to get gentoo up to where I
need it for develpment...

> The hardest part is the waiting.

I would not quite go that far...  I would say that it can be a pain
though.

But for all the above, I think I am really going to like this distro.
I've simply bumped my head on the scafolding while Gentoo is being
built, and I'm learning the houseplan  ;-)

  EBo --