more CD-related problems

Craig S. plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 03:20:55 -0700

> Message: 2
> From: Lynn David Newton <lynn.newton@cox.net>
> Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 22:16:21 -0700
> To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
> Subject: more CD-related problems
>

>   Lynn>   ... I can put a data disk in either [CD
>   Lynn>   drive] mount it, cd to it, ls, cd back, and
>   Lynn>   umount. When I press the button to eject the
>   Lynn>   disk it holds on to it.

lets see here, if I remember right you are using Reiserfs. And you just
reinstalled linux as well. I don't remember if you upgraded linux or not at
the reinstall. I did a quick google search with "problems unmounting /cdrom
with reiserfs".
I found some interesting bug reports you may want to read.

>   Lynn>   /dev/cdrom  /cdrom  iso9660 noauto,user,ro,loop 0 0
>   Lynn>   /dev/burner /burner iso9660 noauto,user,ro,loop 0 0
>
> I took the loop out of the options and the problem
> solved itself. I don't know why I put it in there in
> the first place.

because in the good old days of SCSI-1 and early SCSI-2 daisy chains had to
be terminated manually or the digital signals sent across the bus would
literally bounce around and screw up data transmissions across the bus. The
loopback would be used to test the SCSI bus and see if data could be sent
reliably across it.

Nowadays the controller firmware should take care of this.

> I'm running out of broken things to fix. It must be
> time to upgrade again.

No, it is time to break more things.

Craig S.