Nautilus problems

Gontran Zepeda plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 08:59:35 -0700

* Craig S. (castone@getnet.net) wrote:
> [ nautilus crashes X, slack 8 ]

Hi my name's Gontran, and it's been 3 weeks since my last Windows.

Over the past 6 mos I'd seen and occasionally used a RH based Nautilus
desktop environment.  And even on speedy machines -- I wasn't impressed.
Frankly, it was my contention that Nautilus was wishing it was nipping at
Konqueror's heels -- as a graphical shell.

It always seemed so damn slow, and I didn't like that my root menu was
owned by nautilus.  Sure this was familiar ground from the 'gmc is in total
control' days, but <que: cranky old man voice>I didn't like it!</que>.

Well, all this has changed for me when I got turned onto a particular
command line option for nautilus:  '--no-desktop'.

It still uses more memory than galeon (which can use a lot), especially
when viewing html in the viewing frame where it will load a mozilla
component additionally.  Using version 1.0.6 .

Whiz bang!  Root menu still mine (I can't live without it - root menu - in
blackbox), and once I got all my mime types associated to taste, it's been
very pleasing.  Looks purty too.

A humble screen:  (look, I didn't spend all day making it look wicked, OK?!)

	http://gontran.net/screens/nautilus2.jpg    [ 1024x768 182 K ]

Get nautilus themes and icon packs at:
	http://jimmac.musichall.cz/themes.php3?skin=2

Craig, maybe you could try '--no-desktop' and see if that helps, or find
that other way to disable nautilus entirely.

~bye
Gontran