Distill Word Doc to PDF

Carl Parrish plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
12 Apr 2002 13:16:33 -0700

On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 23:09, Alan Dayley wrote:
> Download GhostScript and GhostView.  There are Windows binaries for both of
> these.  Then you:
>
> - Create a postscript printer setup to print to a file.
> - Print the document to this printer.
> - View the resulting file in GhostView.
> - On the File/Convert menu in GhostView, convert to a PDF
> - Tada! you now have a PDF file of your document.
>
> Now, that all assumes you are in Windows.  If you are in Linux, Use
> StarOffice to open the DOC file and save it out as a postscript and then
> convert with ps2pdf.
>
> Alan

Does anyone know if postscripts convert better than docbook? I've done
some docbook2pdf converstions. I like it cause I can validate the
docbook and / or change out headers with xml tools. but I guess there
are proably similar tools for postscript. I don't *need* to change now.
But maybe if postscript is better in someway I'll look into it.

Thanks,
Carl P.