Virtual hosts

Patrick Fleming EA plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 12:49:24 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, charlie bullen wrote:

> I have configured an Apache server running on Redhat 7.0 to use name based
> virtual host and all seems well so far. The domains are similar to
> www.dddddddd.com, asuming that I've registerd the domain dddddddd.com, is it
> possible to set up a site charlie.ddddddddd.com or do I also have to register
> charlie.dddddddddd.com?

There are two parts to the answer. Domain registration is usually just
dddddd.com. If you are running your own DNS you can add the subdomain to
your DNS records. If you want apache to point everything to the same exact
virutal host, then configure that into httpd.conf
<VirtualHost sub.dddddd.com dddddd.com charlie.dddddd.com>
will answer all three as if they are the same sub.domain.
If you want apache to treat these as seperate domains you will need
seperate <VirtualHost> </VirtualHost> sections pointing to different
directories.