Virtual hosts

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 11:50:07 -0700

On Thursday 11 April 2002 11:37 am, charlie bullen wrote:
> I have configured an Apache server running on Redhat 7.0 to use name
> based virtual host and all seems well so far. The domains are similar to
> www.dddddddd.com, asuming that I've registerd the domain dddddddd.com, is
> it possible to set up a site charlie.ddddddddd.com or do I also have to
> register charlie.dddddddddd.com?
>
> If not, how do I get charlie.ddddddddd.com to route to the server?

charlie.ddd.com needs to be "known" to the DNS servers just as much as plain
ddd.com.  You should be able to do this at whatever hosts your ddd.com DNS,
though.  If it's too complicated or they won't let you, I suggest moving to
a domain handler like easydns.com which makes it *very* simple.  For
instance, I have 'granroth.org' domain.  I can add
'mysubdomain.granroth.org' in a matter of seconds (+ a few hours for the
DNS to catch up).
--
Kurt Granroth - "KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop"
KDE Developer/Evangelist | granroth@kde.org