Total Network Usage

Bill Nash plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 19:47:20 +0700 (GMT-7)

RRDtool is a generic multi-purpose replacement to the graphing portions of
MRTG, both written by Tobi Oetiker. People were doing so much hackery on
MRTG that he released RRDtool to meet the demand.

There's a couple ways to do what you're after:

For short term/daily traffic eyeballing, a couple of tools that will help
you assess what you're doing, on the fly.

Ethernet Traffic Monitor -
http://freshmeat.net/projects/traffic/?topic_id=150
Ethernet Traffic Monitor is a little Perl program which reads and parses
files found in /proc/net and shows ethernet (whether LAN or other
Internet connection) transfers.

Trafshow -
Available as a standard RPM
Trafshow will display real-time traffic information, including hosts and
traffic rates for each.

For long term/weekly/monthly traffic, a cricket implementation to watch
the /proc ethernet counters would do superbly.

As suggested, though, make them cough up traffic stats. YOU are the
customer, and don't let them screw you. If you get into a huge bitter
argument with them, give me a shout. Network management is my field of
specialization, and I'd be happy to consult, cheap.

- billn