small invoice system

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 15:40:12 -0500 (CDT)

> gnucash latest might have some coolness in reports too.

This is painful, unless you want to use gnucash and fight it, I wouldnt go
this way.

> I've seen a late beta screenshot of gnome time tracker (gtt) that
> might could do it to.

Linas is going in so many directions I wouldnt bank on it.  He was making
a good push and looking to pump things into gnucash, but I think those
interests have waned.

> ...or...<drumroll> Derek?  What's the gnue way?

Long term is you download the files and use.  For now you could download
GNUe (on debian this might take about 30 minutes to get working), soon it
will be even less are our debs are getting mroe functional.  They are in
unstable, but I would use cvs.

Simply create a table that suits your fancy for invoicing.  Run the GNUe
Designer wizard and in a matter of minutes you ahve something.  Last night
I hacked up our interfaces for reporting output.  So our report engine
should export html and txt now.

You might consider using DCL if you are doing consulting though my reports
focus has moved me away from adding somethings there that make it usable
out of the box.

> \_ I would like to wean myself from Quicken Small Business
> \_ and would prefer something that uses MySql for a backend.

Certainly GNUe can use MySQL as a backend.  Though unless you are using
innodb of mysql its not a suitable db for business software and even with
innodb I would be cautious.  Its getting there though.

> \_ I only want to dump a day or two into setting it up so
> \_  want to stay clear of any complications (i'm a Debian user
> \_  spoiled by apt :-)

Technically you can apt-get install gnue-forms gnue-designer etc, but I
would do cvs.

-Derek