KDE Upgrade to 3.0

Dan Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 08:48:16 -0700

On Friday 05 April 2002 06:16 pm, Tom Achtenberg wrote:
> OK, I started with your first command, rpm -e kedbase-2.2.2-1 and
> got an error saying it was needed by 8 other packages.  The first
> of these was kdeaddons-kate-2.2.2-1 so I ran the rpm -e on it and
> got an error saying it was not installed.  This continued with
> the next package, kdeaddons-kicker-2.2.2-1.  I stopped at that
> point.  When the system is telling me a package is needed by
> another package that it then tells me is not installed, something
> is really screwed up.

I'm sorry, Tom, I should have been more clear.  When I did the rpm
-e to remove those packages, it was all in one go.  That is
something like

    rpm -e kdebase-2.2.2-1 kdeartwork-2.2.2-1 ...

When rpm reported that there was a package that needed something I
was trying to remove, I added that dependent package to the list.
This is something you may also have to do with other packages in
the future.  Sometimes when you're installing a package you need to
install other rpms that support that package.  Same thing when
removing.

I'm glad you got it working and again, I apologize for the
confusion.

Dan