News From Atlantis Partners (fwd)

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 08:22:12 -0700

Hi Steve (and all active job searchers),

I would like to share my discoveries about the IT job market.
1.  The market appears to be best in Texas.
2.  IT labor prices are coming down - way too many people (supply)
for the current positions (demand).  The $25-30K programming job
that was discussed on this list is a good example.
3.  For every Phoenix programmer job advertised on DICE, the
company gets about 800 resumes.
4.  For every Phoenix IT Manager job advertised, the company gets
over 250 resumes.
5.  The harder the application process (i.e. Governments), the
fewer applications there are.  The jobs at the city of Mesa only
have 40-50 applicants each - much better odds.  Of course, the
process may take several hours to apply for just one job.

One of my former coworkers was laid off in February and is still
unemployed.  Another coworker was out of work for seven weeks.

I'm having much more success looking outside of IT (being an old
fart means I have experience in many things), so like was discussed
earlier on the list, this IT market correction will force some
people to leave the industry.  The market will come back, and so
will I!

George