VPN

Nigel Sollars plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 12:44:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Craig White wrote:

> Charlie Bullen wrote:
> >
> > I have a server that I have loaded with e-smth gateway and server
> > which uses a modified redhat installation. ( http://www.e-smith.org)
> > Amoung the features of this installation is VPN capabilities, using
> > PoPToP ( http://poptop.lineo.com) I have to use windows clients to
> > connect to the server. I have been able to establish a connection, my
> > login is authenticated but the connection disconnects almost
> > immediatley. I also have remote access to the server via ssh so I
> > tried forwarding port 1723 through the ssh tunnel assuming that our
> > ISP might have port 1723 closed, but that yeilded the same result.
> >
> > Beng new to VPN I don't have anyidea where to go next
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > Charlie
> -------------
> Microsoft PPTP - very insecure
>
> You really need to review John Hardin's instructions and for setup
> purposes - minimize your firewall to make sure that things work. Port 47
> also needs to be open but I think that one is GRE and neither TCP nor
> UDP.
>
> I would doubt that your ISP has closed any of the necessary ports.
>
> Craig

OK Gre is protocol 47 not port 47... for PPTP you need 1723 open i think
check the e-smith site.  @ LinuxIT we were a UK distributor of Esmith i
found
personally that the PPTP VPN was 1 insecure cause it just auths against
pap / chap ... and 2 very unstable.

If you want a true vpn look at IPSEC and Free/SWAN .. its not hard to
impliment if its for corporate use you might want to have a look @ the
openreach Solution

check it out @ www.openreach.com ..

Again LinuxIT is a UK Distributor I also used it in a couple of
Consultancy Solutions as it was of less cost than Checkpoint Firewall 1 ..

To be honest the VPN under Openreach takes about 15 mins to integrate.

Regards

Nigel Sollars