VPN

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 07:43:14 -0700

Charlie Bullen wrote:

> I have a server that I have loaded with e-smth gateway and server
> which uses a modified redhat installation. ( http://www.e-smith.org)
> Amoung the features of this installation is VPN capabilities, using
> PoPToP ( http://poptop.lineo.com) I have to use windows clients to
> connect to the server. I have been able to establish a connection, my
> login is authenticated but the connection disconnects almost
> immediatley. I also have remote access to the server via ssh so I
> tried forwarding port 1723 through the ssh tunnel assuming that our
> ISP might have port 1723 closed, but that yeilded the same result.
>
> Beng new to VPN I don't have anyidea where to go next
>
> Thanks
>

> Charlie
Microsoft PPTP - very insecure

You really need to review John Hardin's instructions and for setup
purposes - minimize your firewall to make sure that things work. Port 47
also needs to be open but I think that one is GRE and neither TCP nor
UDP.

I would doubt that your ISP has closed any of the necessary ports.

Craig