OT: Microsoft Stands By IIS Despite Gartner Recommendation

David P. Schwartz plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 12:02:03 -0700

It's not strictly a statistical count of machines running package "X".  How many people do you know who routinely recompile IIS when they
install it?  Anybody?  Now, how many people routinely rebuild either the Linux kernel and/or Apache and/or other significant parts of the
system when they do an install?

It's the homogeniety of IIS installations that makes them so vulnerable,  not their mere numbers.  The *nix practice of literally
compiling in/out certain features of an installed module for most important modules actually works to reduce the likelihood of mutiny by
wayfaring invaders.  And the fact that it's common to spread functions across machines.

-David Schwartz