Serious cabling problem

Kimi A. Adams plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:03:51 -0700

I am having a problem with cabling in my office building.  The guy that
runs the phone lines here was an old Ma Bell technician.  His terminology
and ours don't mix and his wiring between building A, B and C is lashed 100
pair cable that was put in about 12 years ago.

The situation is that we wish to provision T-1 connection from building A
to the other buildings.  There are punch down terminals being used.  The
lines tone out according to Ken, the phone guy.  Andy, my tech here, seems
to believe that the lines may be crossed between the two buildings'
terminal rooms.  That's because when he connects a CAT 5 line with RJ45
connector on either end, one hooked to our router and one hook into the
building B terminal room punch down terminal block, then hooks a computer
to it, there is no juice.  One thing (ducking would be nice right now) that
I know (which is little about frequency, baud and such on these lines) is
that if juice isn't there, we must need some type of interface on the other
end.  What that may be is quite confusing to me.

Bottom line, I need to know if someone can take the time out to help me
out.  If you have done this before and can assist please call either Kimi
or Andy at 602-375-5363.

Thanks.

Kimi Adams
Unity Wave