Linux Journal-to-SCCA-to-EFF-to-Sen.McCain

Lucas Vogel plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 11:55:50 -0700

I get the Linux Journal Weekly News Notes on my work email address every
Wednesday, and this week's email included a feature by Doc Searls called
"Aspire to Crudeness" - I don't remember exactly why it's called that, but
anyways, the first paragraph talked briefly about the EFF. A particular line
struck me:

"Join EFF...If you use any free software at all, you might be _slightly_
interested in the fact that Disney is paying Congress to ban it.
http://www.eff.org/alerts/20010921_eff_sssca_alert.html "

That took me to the website that talks about the SSSCA, its measures, and
what you can do about it. Without standing on too high a soapbox I'd like to
publicly announce my intention to join the EFF and their efforts in
opposition to this bill and others that trample on our rights, and urge
others on this list to do the same if they haven't done so already.

I'd also like to briefly plug Sen. McCain, if I may. Back when Napster was
USABLE I sent an email through their page to Sen. McCain expressing concern
about copyright and other issues. It surprised me to get a letter back from
him thanking me for the correspondence and talking about the different
issues at stake in the situation. (DISCLAIMER: I did contribute $25 to his
presidential bid, probably the only Republican I'd ever do that for :) so
maybe I'm biased )

Lucas Vogel
http://www.fail.com