The time has come...

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 11:22:16 -0700 (MST)

Am 26. Sep, 2001 schwätzte Linux so:

> I live in Tucson and would not be able to attend a meeting and
> therefore would not be able to get my gpg signature signed and if
> I am understanding all this would not be able to be a member.

First off membership would only be for the purpose of voting and maybe some
other stuff. Participation in the mailing lists, attendance of meetings,
etc. shall remain free ( beer as well as speech ) and open to the public as
long as we can keep it that way.

The P in PLUG does stand for Phoenix, but we do have several people who
participate from other locations. We've got at least one person who's moved
to .wa.us and one to .uk who still participate. We've also got Richard from
SHEFLUG who just pops in.

I don't know how to handle people who live elsewhere. If you participate (
as you do ), then I'd think you should also be eligible for membership. As
for getting your gpg key signed there are various ways to do that. We do
need to consider that as we will have people who show up to meetings, then
move elsewhere. Also, should visiting dignitaries such as rms and esr be
able to join when those telecommuting can't? I think not.

We have to make sure to not leave the door open for another group to come
in and usurp our LUG. We don't want, for instance, the local pdp10 group to
come in en masse and vote out the rest of us because they see *NIX as what
led to the end of the pdp boxen and the way of life rms described :).

> If I am understanding your proposal, membership will laps, not
> increase.

In any case it won't limit participation in the discussions, etc.

The pain, as always, is in the details :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  Keine Ahnung, was ich dir sagen soll,