IP masquerading, Qwest

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:20:38 -0700

All right!
It worked!
I'm not sure what it was I did that made it work, but for the benefit of others who may be struggling, this is waht I did:
1. I added those /sbin/ipchains input and output lines listed below to my rc.firewall script, and re-ran it.
2. On Windows, I noticed the DNS addresses had disappeared from my network setup (Windows must have kindly done that for me when I deleted the dialup
connections.)  So I put them back, but under the TCP/IP settings for the ethernet card instead of the modem.
3. On Windows, I re-ran the Internet Connection Setup wizard, choosing the "connect using a LAN" selections.   I also checked the box for "automatic discovery of
proxy server settings" (even though I'm not using one), did not set up my mail client (it was already configured) and selected the box to connect immediately.
It worked!  (both Outlook and Exploder.)

BTW, on the Mandrake 8 box which is also on my LAN, I ran Konqueror and it connected instantly without any of the hassles I had with Windows ME.  (I still needed
the Windows connection ability, because I have to be able to run Net Meeting on my Win2K box, and because my wife's box is Windows 98.)

Thanks one and all for your patience!
Vaughn Treude