IP masquerading, Qwest

Dan Brown plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 00:51:28 -0700

--raC6veAxrt5nqIoY

That is odd that you need dhclient.  As I understand it, since the cisco is
always 10.0.0.1 it should always "know" about all machines in 10.0.0.x
I haven't tried but I believe I could set my RaQ's external IP to any IP
above 10.0.0.1 and the cisco would recognize it.

When the cisco is set up as a DHCP server, it serves out IPs starting at
10.0.0.2.  I vaguely remember when I first set it up over a year ago I
was doing DHCP on my local machines.  The cisco and all machines were plugg=
ed
into the hub.  Then I set up the firewall and, after learning a bit, I
decided to use static IPs internally.  I think the firewall RaQ was given
10.0.0.4 and that's why it's still got it even though it's static (just
never bothered to change it).

Oh, by the way, you might find this URL helpful with other DSL stuff:

   http://www.users.qwest.net/~rlutton/ADSL/

Sorry, Vaughn, I can't be of help with the Win dial up problem.  I don't
have any Win machines set up for dial-up.  You would think you could
just click on something to change between the two - at worst you'd have
to reboot - but I would think it could be done.  Then again, what we
mere mortals might think obvious and/or rational cannot be applied when
dealing with a system that knows better than the user what the user
wants/needs.

You might try one of the windows news groups or sites (sorry, again, I
don't have any references to provide) if you haven't already.

Best wishes,
Dan

Vaughn Treude (tv6@qwest.net) wrote:
> Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 23:53:50 -0700
> From: "Vaughn Treude" <tv6@qwest.net>
> Sender: plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
> To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
> Subject: Re: IP masquerading, Qwest
>=20
>=20
> Thanks for your reply, Dan.  Your setup is similar to mine; though it see=
ms I need to run dhclient on my firewall machine in order to acess the
> internet.  Either that, or there's some other configuration step I accide=
ntally did when I added that in.  My "eth1" NIC behaves a bit
> strangely; it always shows a FAIL when the system comes up, and dhclient =
first reports the network as "down" and then succeeds.  I don't know
> what's happening, but at least it works!
>=20
>  Both you and Gontran mentioned setting up the Gateway address on the cli=
ent machine, which is what I'd missed, because I skipped the step where
> they had you setting up the NIC, since it was already set up!  Now I can =
successfully ping the Cisco from another machine on the LAN.  Now I
> need to figure out why my stupid Windows machine doesn't let me replace t=
he dialup connection with a LAN connection.  It has buttons for LAN
> configuration, but be damned if I can figure out how to actually enable i=
t (or if they mean the same thing by "proxy server" as Linux people
> mean by that term.)  I know it's terribly OT, but is there a trick to mak=
ing this crazy Redmond stuff look over the LAN without deleting the
> dialup account?  (One of these is a notebook.)
>=20
> Thanks again,
> Vaughn
>=20