IP masquerading, Qwest

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 23:53:50 -0700

Thanks for your reply, Dan.  Your setup is similar to mine; though it seems I need to run dhclient on my firewall machine in order to acess the
internet.  Either that, or there's some other configuration step I accidentally did when I added that in.  My "eth1" NIC behaves a bit
strangely; it always shows a FAIL when the system comes up, and dhclient first reports the network as "down" and then succeeds.  I don't know
what's happening, but at least it works!

 Both you and Gontran mentioned setting up the Gateway address on the client machine, which is what I'd missed, because I skipped the step where
they had you setting up the NIC, since it was already set up!  Now I can successfully ping the Cisco from another machine on the LAN.  Now I
need to figure out why my stupid Windows machine doesn't let me replace the dialup connection with a LAN connection.  It has buttons for LAN
configuration, but be damned if I can figure out how to actually enable it (or if they mean the same thing by "proxy server" as Linux people
mean by that term.)  I know it's terribly OT, but is there a trick to making this crazy Redmond stuff look over the LAN without deleting the
dialup account?  (One of these is a notebook.)

Thanks again,
Vaughn