anonymous services

Jason plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 19:28:26 +0000

Eric wrote:

> At 02:43 PM 9/14/01 -0800, you wrote:
> >I am willing to forfeit liberty in order to be "safe."
>
> >Amazing.  Ben Franklin said, "Those who would give up essential liberty to
> >purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
> >(see note 1)
>
> Lots of people say things.  What does "deserve" mean?  It's a value judgment
> that has no relation to the real world.  That kind of talk is shadow-boxing.
> Saying so does not make it so.  Show me evidence the statement is true and
> then we can discuss.
>
> Just as "safety" and "security" are not absolutes and should always be in
> quotes, so too should the same apply to the words "liberty" and "freedom."
> Any vagueness objection you have against the former apply to the latter.

A basic, and non-political example, of how the above statement DOES
apply to the real world is the situation of people who continue to
live with their parents after they reach the age of majority. All too
often, they give up very many of the freedoms they would otherwise
have, in order to secure financial stability.

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|