anonymous services

John Starta plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 20:21:36 -0700

At 03:12 PM 9/14/01 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:

>Amazing.  Ben Franklin said, "Those who would give up essential liberty to
>purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
>(see note 1)
>
>[snip]
>
>Note 1: I have seen this "quote" re-worded so many times I am beginning to
>doubt it's authenticity.  Does anyone know where the ORIGINAL version is?
>In any case, I agree with the idea presented.

The original quote is: "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

The author is Benjamin Franklin. The sentence was used frequently during
the Revolutionary period. It first appeared in November, 1755, in an answer
by the Assembly of Pennsylvania to the Governor, and forms the motto of
Franklin's "Historical Review," 1759.

jas