umax 2100u

Robert N. Eaton plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 07:38:56 -0700

> Nathan England wrote:
>

> All,
>
> Fry's has umax 2100u scanners on sale for $30 bucks..
> I don't have a scanner, and really want one.  Don't have a whole lot
> of money either, so I bought this cheapo..
>
> It works very nicely in windows 2000, after about an hour of
> wrestingling..
>
> I was curious if anyone has any usb scanner set up experience in
> linux..
> I'm finding a lot of conflicting stuff, and linux-usb is not helpful..
> I've seen a couple reports that people got it working with sane, but
> they don't say how..
> Sane itself says it's not supported..
>
> Any have any ideas?
>
> nathan
Contact http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch.sane.sane-xsane.html or
Oliver.Rauch@Wolfsburg.DE  There is a Sane/Xsane developers list that
posts more information than I cared to read about just such issues,
especially getting usb scanners to work.

I, on the other hand, purchased a $45 UMAX Astra 1220S (for scsi) and
beat my head against the wall as long as I used Caldera Open Linux
2.3/2.4.  Then I changed over to Red Hat 7.1, and it works like a champ.

I must admit that my scsi Jaz drive doesn't play well with the scanner.
They have "reservations" problems which I'm trying to sort out.

Bob Eaton
--
Bob Eaton

It was lack of data that killed the cat.
Curiosity just got a bad rap.  RAH