Caution, SuSE Linux Live Eval loading

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:38:11 -0700 (MST)

Am 21. Sep, 2001 schwätzte Kurt Granroth so:

> 1. Run 'fdisk -l' to discover the partitions.  The first DOS one is tagged
> the C: drive
> 2. The size of the C: partition is checked to make sure there is enough room
> for the temp files.  If there isn't (or if there is no C: drive), then it
> will still run but no settings will be saved.
> 3. The C: drive is mounted and two files are 'dd if=/dev/zero'ed.
> 4. The first file is mkswap'ed into a swap file and the second is mke2fs'ed
> into a filesystem (containing /home, mostly)
> 5. On bootup, the filesystem is mounted with the loopback option

Most cool. Thanks for the rundown!

BTW, can they add ext2 and reiser support for the tmp files? Back when I
first tried SuSE I used the LiveEval CD. It booted and congratulated me for
not having m$ on the box. Duh. I was running slackware :). I just wanted to
check out SuSE and didn't have enough room for dual boot.

Eventually I moved completely to SuSE and used it for a couple of years. I
got tired of them losing my subscription and discovered apt-get, so moved to
debian.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  When I work, I work hard. When I play, I play hard.