The Newbie Again

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 18:40:52 -0700

Can you justify that comment with facts?  I would like to hear
your experiences.

For me, I run 3-6% packet loss to the first router, except for during
the wee hours of the night, where it drops to 0%.

My gateway box has been replaced because I was getting 100% packet
loss for three minute stretches, which also destroyed the digital
video for the same period.

Two of the cards out at the street have been replaced.

I've been on the phone five times with Customer Support because of
Digital Gateway box or their internal routing problems.

Their primary and secondary name servers died for over a week
(which allowed me to find a misconfiguration in my own name server,
so I have no idea if theirs are back up).  I called them
twice on that and got the trained monkey answer about the secondary
name server rolling over if the first one fails.  She really didn't
like it when I gave her the IP addresses of the two failed DNS's.

My megabit DSL runs at 600kbps.

They block port 25 & 80, so I don't have to worry about running
a web server or a mail server at home.

But hey!!!  Linux works with it quite well, so I'm happy.

George