disaster relief coordination

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 09:16:57 -0700

Lucas Vogel wrote:

> Aren't there a large number of these servers up already? As well intended as
> this idea is, is it really going to be of any help? My fear is that we'll get
> hand-me-down information at best(or manipulated data, even), none of which
> would be of much/any good to anyone.  Maybe instead of creating a new site of
> our own from scratch we could mirror one of the more 'official' sites
> available?

Actually those are some of the details that we were looking into.  Maybe
all that is needed is is to find out which sites carry XYZ info, and
mirror them.  Change the head page to reflect "we are swamped, please
look at out mirrors..." variety.  Yes, there is the concern of data
accuracy, how you deal with it.  As to would it be of any help we could
debate that several ways.

I actually have other worries, like what info is appropriate to
disseminate and how to protect peoples privacy...  What I would hate is
to provide some ambulance chaser's staff a list of all the people that
have been injured, etc.

> Hope I don't sound too pessimistic...

no... realistic.  I like a good reality check every once and a while.

  EBo --