newbie to linux

plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 14:47:56 +0000 (GMT)

Quoting Robert Jorgenson <snoogans@qwest.net>:

> okay i just got linux mandrake 8.1 beta version and i was wondering if
> anyone knows how much room it will take up on a HD, cuz i only have a
> 1.2 GB HD. Also my system is like waaaaay old and i cant seem to find a
> way to set bios to boot from a D drive or anything besides c: or a: so
> is there a way i can make a boot disk in windows before i format?

Hi Robert and welcome to the list! Have you checked the CD for a README? Most distros will let you write a rescue and boot floppy from DOS with rawrite.

If you'd like to get an intro to Linux before messin' with the hard drive ( especially if the command line is new to you) you might checkout Floppix at http://www.floppix.com . Floppix is a very basic two floppy system that resides in RAM and doesn't touch your hard drive. The site has a good command line tutorial. When you are tired of learning just reboot and you are back into Windows.

Another good intro (although you'll have to wait a bit for the next class to start) is Basic Linux Training http://www.basiclinux.net .

Also, check the PLUG site ( http://www.PLUG.phoenix.az.us ) for useful links.

Dennis Kibbe

Everyone should have http://www.freedom2surf.net/