a little security

Nathan England plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
07 Sep 2001 09:49:36 -0700

Okay, I know half of you will probably shoot me for this, but I'm doing
it anyway...

I need access to a volume on a server across the internet.
Right now I am running samba and I am connecting by running three
ssh tunnells to ports 137, 138, and 139 from my computer at work to the
server. From there I mount the volumes.

There has to be a more secure way than this. Especially more secure than
samba..  I have a good password, but still any sniffer would get it in a
few seconds.  Except for the ssh tunnels, there really isn't any
security.

Are there any safer ways any one knows of that I could do this?
I'm not so worried about my security where someone sniffs me and gets my
password, but others seeing the wide open ports and going after it..
It's pretty stupid.

I was thinking about setting ipchains to only accept the connection from
a specific ip, but is there a better way than this?  Any input helpfull.
Thanks guys.

nathan

--
 "Ah, lives there a man with soul so dead, who never to himself hath
said,