linux learning

Bill Warner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
05 Sep 2001 12:17:56 -0700

ohh yea, I forgot about all the hours I spent
after learning exactly what the /bin /sbin and
/*/bin /*/sbin directories were for I spent many
a day doing

$ ls a* <enter>
$ man <first in list>
$ man <second in list>
$ man <.....last in list>
$ ls b*
$ ..........

Ohhh the days :)

Bill Warner

On 05 Sep 2001 06:09:41 -0700, Ken Bowley wrote:
> All the comments so far have been great!  The only one I would add is an
> ancient secret of hard core geeks....
>
> Read the man pages!
>
> It takes a long time, but go through the sbin and bin directories, and
> read the man page for every program you can find.  There will be a few
> that don't have man pages, but then you can always attempt the --help
> approach to getting information.
>
> On Tue, 2001-09-04 at 09:13, Charlie Bullen wrote:
> > Hello, I need to systematically learn linux. I know enough to be dangerous
> > now.  What if any certification course gives the best overall linux
> > education.  The primary objective is learning. If it leads to a
> > certification, so much the better but learning is the key.
> >
> > I prefer to work on my own but am not totaly against going to a school.
> >
> > I currently administer 2 apache web servers and 1 server for sendmail and
> > file sharing with samba. All my learning to date has been of the 3AM need to
> > have it working by 8am panic variety, so I know a little of this, a little of
> > that but no overall systematic view.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Charlie
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=[The Realm of Darkness]=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= O-
>  Ken Bowley                                        johann@trod.org
>  AKA: Lord Johann                              http://www.trod.org
> -=-=-=-=-=[ Linux, the choice of the GNU generation ]=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> LCP, LCI, and Brainbench Linux MVP

Bill Warner
Unix/Linux Admin.
Direct Alliance Corporation

Company required stuff:

Contents are Direct Alliance Corporation Confidential

This message is for the designated recipient(s) only and contains
Direct Alliance Corporation privileged and confidential information.
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the original.  Any other use of this email is prohibited.